Daughters & Dads Basketball
Register for a Daughters and Dads Basketball program HERE
WHAT IS DAUGHTERS & DADS BASKETBALL?
The Daughters & Dads Basketball program is targeted at primary school girls aged 7-12 years old and their dads (or father figure). The program involves a combination of empowerment sessions and active sessions running for a total of 90 mins each week for 9 consecutive weeks.
Daughters & Dads attend weekly sessions together, focusing on:
- Rough and tumble play, and ball handling;
- Skill development (e.g., defensive skills, 1v1, shooting & finishing);
- Fun modified basketball games;
- Well-being education aimed at developing daughters’:
Dads also attend a 90-minute ‘Alley-Oop’ information workshop before the Daughters and Dads sessions commence. Here they learn about the program rationale and structure, the unique and powerful influence of fathers on their daughters, restrictive gender biases which can limit girls’ participation in sport and key strategies to engage their daughter in basketball.
WHY DAUGHTERS & DADS BASKETBALL?
Despite the popularity of basketball in Australia, only 32% of Australian junior basketball players are girls. A number of barriers exist that can impact on girls’ motivation to play:
- Many girls lack the basic skills and confidence necessary to participate basketball.
- There are limited opportunities for quality coaching and practice in current junior program offerings due to small coach to player ratios.
- Many girls (and parents) consider basketball to be a rough, ‘boys’’ sport and receive less encouragement and opportunity to play in the backyard and at school.
Daughters & Dads Basketball addresses these barriers by providing:
- Intensive coaching and skills practice for girls with dads as their ‘personal’ coaches.
- Girls with knowledge of the game.
- Fathers with key parenting and coaching skills to improve their daughters’ engagement in basketball.
- An evidence-based program that targets girls’ social-emotional skills (e.g., resilience, persistence, bravery).
- Strategies to empower girls to be aware of gender prejudice and overcome barriers using critical thinking.
- An innovative home program with a host of engaging and educational basketball-related activities and skills practice.
Read more about Daughters & Dads Basketball here.
Interested in facilitating a Daughters and Dads Basketball program? Register here.